Header AD

Peculiar Polish Series - Avatar Tutorial

It's another Dark Thursday and time for an episode of Peculiar Polish! Nev from Nevorpurify's Nail Art  is helping me out by designing looks that might be on the darker side of the cartoon/comic spectrum. If you have a dark suggestion for her, just fill out the embedded form at the bottom of the page!
Here's Nev!
My favorite thing about the Peculiar Polish series is that I'm learning about so many new cartoons that I didn't know much about! Gabby requested Avatar: The Last Airbender nails and a tutorial to go along with it. Avatar was an Asian inspired Nickelodeon series that follows Aang (a bender, who is one who can manipulate the elements) and his friends. On my nails I painted Aang on my middle finger, Katara (a waterbender) on my index finger, Sokka (Katara's brother) on my ring finger, and Momo (the adorable lemur that assists Aang). This is my first ever picture tutorial so I hope it turned okay! It turns out that picture tutorials are hard work! I think everyone needs to applaud Leslie for doing them so often!


First I painted solid base colors. Momo is solid white. Aang is slightly darker than Momo. And Katara is the most tan. I painted the thumb black to add the logo.
Here I added in the hair lines. Aang has a blue arrow tattoo on his forehead. Use Leslie's technique of first making the hair outlines in black, and we'll fill them in with color later.
Add color to the hair, leaving a thin black line for an outline. Also add in lines for eyes and eyebrows. It is okay if they're sloppy, because you'll be adding white to the inside in the next step. Momo needs a cute mouth and nose too.

Fill the eyes in with white. This will leave a thin black line for the outsides of the eyes. Also shade Katara and Sokka's eyebrows.

Add colored dots to the middle of the eyes.

In this step I first put a black dot in the middle of the eye, then off center I added a white dot to give the eyes dimension.

Finally add the logo to the thumb and you're done!

 

I hope you like these nails and I'll see you all next week for a really awesome set of computer game inspired nails!
Peculiar Polish Series - Avatar Tutorial Peculiar Polish Series - Avatar Tutorial Reviewed by Unknown on 4:00 AM Rating: 5

Post AD